- County: Jefferson County
- Property tax rate: 1.1%
- Population: 620,000
- Size Rank: 1st in Kentucky, 30th in United States
- Industries: logistics, bourbon, healthcare, data science
Did you know?
- Louisville is a major ecommerce and logistics hub for UPS, Amazon.
- There is a scarcity of buildable land.
- Louisville International Airport (SDF) is a 5 to 15 minute car ride from most neighborhoods.
- Low cost of living makes Louisville an attractive place for young people to settle down.
- Largest city in the state of Kentucky with over 620,000 residents and growing steadily.
- Emerging tech/data economy with diverse group of major employers including UPS, Humana, YUM Brands.
- Comparatively low prices for single family and multi-family properties.
Insights from our local experts:
- "Slow to rise, slow to fall" -- insulated compared to most other markets
- Cash flow play with good equity appreciation
- Investment properties appreciating between $7,500 - $10,000 per year
- Can easily hit 1% rule, as high as 1.3% (monthly rent ÷ purchase price)
- Quadplexes in $150,000 range that cashflow $2,200/month
- D-grade homes with 25% cap rates are not uncommon but you need to make sure they are rented
- B-grade property for $90,000 range
- C-grade property has good appreciation, low risk
- Nowhere to build in Louisville, everything is getting renovated and turned over.
- Louisville property values are not affected by school district due to Jefferson County Public Schools Student Assignment Plan.
- Not a lot of natural disasters -- low tornado risk, most houses next to Ohio River are not in flood plain.
- No hard water, natural limestone filtration shelf -- the best bourbon shorts with the best water...
- Convenient commuting, can get most places in under 15 minutes.
Favorite neighborhoods to find bargains:
- Valley Station
- Churchill Downs
Proximity to other cities (by car):
- Lexington, KY: 1 hour 25 minutes (77 miles)
- Cincinnati, OH: 1 hour 35 minutes (100 miles)
- Indianapolis, IN: 1 hour 50 minutes (115 miles)
- Dayton, OH: 2 hours 30 minutes (153 miles)
- Nashville, TN: 2 hours 40 minutes (176 miles)
- Columbus, OH: 3 hours 10 minutes (206 miles)
- Chicago, IL: 4 hours 45 minutes (299 miles)
- Greater Louisville Association of Realtors: Market Statistics
- U.S. Census QuickFacts: Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky
- Louisville Metro Open Data
Sell your home on your terms
Get multiple commission-free, AS IS offers from qualified buyers and close on your timeline.
Create a no cost, no obligation listing on OfferMarket